Shootings are fun!
Actually, for me the industry I`m recently involved in, started with a shooting studio. Catwalks, tvc shootings and events has been added after, but only working on a studio shooting I feel much more «like home», thanks to those times spent in front of the camera and now, enjoying my being a completely backstage person (and I love that!)
Today I would like to speak (or shout?) about model`s skin preparation before the shooting. Of course, your makeup artist gets paid to make you look like a goddess with a perfect contour of cheekbone, and navy skin, but I always point on, that preparation of the skin is even more important than applying makeup itself! Your makeup artist does this routine with skin cleansing, moisturizing, but often you and your shooting crew are pressed for time during work, and the prep routine is minimized to a makeup primer.
Working as makeup artist in Beijing, I faced the problem that most of my clients have dry skin (or normal that became dehydrated thanks to beijings water, air and yesterdays hanging out with girlfriends). What happens when you apply foundation on skin that not enough moisturized? Skin quickly absorbs the liquid of the foundation, living the dry color (pigment) on dry skin that continue praying for hydration. Pigment «tears» into pieces on skin, creating the mask effect, it gets into the pores and wrinkles, such effect adds you age.
How to deal?
1. The evening before make sure to scrub the face from dead skin pieces. Perfectly Clean Multi-Action Cleansing Gelee from Estee Lauder, In case, you got no time for deep cleansing and scrubbing, keep in your bag Scrub and Peel Wipes from KIKO (forbidden for aged skin and couperose skin).
2. Korean sheet masks and under eye patches (I`m gonna explain pros and cons of asian cosmetics in the next post). Usually on makeup classes I tell: take a brush and blend, blend, blend. Here is the story with the masks: just put on the face and let it moisture, moisture, moisture your skin. The pricing for the masks varies widely, but personally I use Innisfree masks (curious to read your suggestions in comments), they are for different purposes and have various packages and types/smells (thanks to the company`s marketing team, well done, I wanna buy them all)
3. Deeply moisturizing creme that with one touch safe your skin. Mine is Embryolisse. I totally agree with other makeup artists singing dithyrambs to this product. It really does magic, especially when the models come for work with hangover (as you remember, alcohol dries up your skin) and you have 1 hour in total to do her total look. But not only alcohol exhausts skin. Caffeine is another source of dehydration.
During the rough days of exchanging each other jobs, endless cups of coffee and reduced hours of sleep mixed with common hysteria of all the shooting crews, I do use sheet mask, under eye pads, this creme and
4. The refreshing water. Yes, I`m talking now about that water the smell you like so much when I spray it at the model`s face. Of course, on the bottle you read that its MAC Spray Fixate for a cosmic price, but the trick is water sticks makeup to the skin as good as MAC does, its just doesn’t smell that well :) The function of the water is keep your skin fresh.
5. Facial oil became insanely popular thanks to instagram. The problem with a lot of face oils is that they take so damn long to soak in. You could have a cup of coffee and watch a season of «Game of Thrones" and your face would still be too slick to put on your makeup. Smashbox Photofinisher Prime Oil, kind of different because it's made by the makeup company known for its primers, after all. It absorbs instantly, and your makeup will blend seamlessly, not slide right off.
Summing up, these products in different order in different situations will help to cheer your skin up before a long shooting day and a nice makeup artist in addition will do a facial massage, propose you a glass of water and create a good mood for a great day!
Enjoy studio shootings :)
ALL THE MENTIONED ITEMS WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON AT http://www.frauromanova.com/beautyshopbyromanova
EXCLUSIVELY, THE BEST PRICES ONLY FOR MY CLIENTS ;)